Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Blockhead - Music by Cavelight (album 2004)


Third track on Music by Cavelight - "Sunday Seance", also released as a single 12"

So, the last couple of days I've been sitting in the bus listening to Blockheads debut album "Music by Cavelight". Blockhead is mostly known for his background compositions on Aesop Rock tracks, but then he was asked to do a solo album, and it became very successful. Overall, I must say I like this album, and I think most people would agree that it is also his best of three albums.

I find that the highlights on this album would probably be "Carnivores Unite", "Sunday Seance", "Breath and Start", "Triptych Pt. 3" as well as "Daylight". Another track that apparently got quite popular is "Insomniac Olympics", but I think it's pretty much the worst track on the entire album, but still without being an absolute throwaway.


"Carnivores Unite"

It's really nothing over the top, but it gives you what you would expect, and perhaps a little more. Funky breakbeats and blippy background elements and speech samples that actually blend together quite well through most of the tracks. Sadly, it doesn't work out all the way through, and I hate when I just want to skip a track because it's just plain annoying. This is a well-crafted album overall - not flawless, but definitely worth buying.

No comments:

Post a Comment